Sunday, March 04, 2007

Dear Jerry Rice,

I am writing to apologize to you about Friday night. My husband and I were also at Rosie McCann’s, dancing and enjoying a few drinks with friends.

I noticed you when you came in and foolishly pointed you out to my husband. That’s when he decided to approach you, introduce himself and shake your hand. You seemed very nice and he was super-excited about this momentary brush with celebrity.

As the night wore on, he couldn’t stop talking about you. How he couldn’t believe he had met the “best receiver of our time” and how strange it was that nobody else in the bar had approached you. And that’s when he decided that he needed a picture with you. I thought it was a bad idea, but he was so excited. I decided to go along with it, playing photographer with his cell phone camera.

The look that you gave us when he approached you the second time to ask for the photo was lethal. I felt like such a jerk. But you stood there and smiled for the camera despite your obvious displeasure.

I really felt terrible about disrupting your night out by making you pose for a cheesy fan photo. What I felt even more terrible about was that after that photo, the floodgates opened and just about every other person in the bar lined up to take pictures with you!

I was so embarrassed about the whole thing I demanded that we leave the bar shortly thereafter. I can admit now that was a bit of an overreaction, but I couldn’t stay there and have you shooting hate vibes at us the whole night.

Anyway, it was kind of cool to actually “dance with the stars” for a little while.

Sincerely,
Ashley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Jerry Rice is use to being approached all the time.. One thing for sure is he will never forget Steve should you ever bump into him again, ha-ha!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!! Way to go Steve! ;)

Anonymous said...

FYI: Lucrezia also bumped into Jerry Rice at Valley Fair over Christmas and chatted it up with him and her mom. She said he was "so nice and friendly." He must really like the San Jo/Valley Fair/Santana Row area.