Monday, February 19, 2007

Fun with Felting

Earlier this month, Martha had on her show a tutorial on how to make these adorable pincushions. On Saturday, I raided Steve’s closet and hit Goodwill in search of wool sweaters so I could make some. I ended up with a pretty good stash (for only $11!) and felted them all. I also crocheted some cord with wool yarn and felted that too.

Here’s the first product!!



I’m not totally happy with the thickness of the cord, so I’m going to search for some alternatives this afternoon. I made a companion for this little guy, but don’t like it as much. The sweater I used for that cup and saucer was a bit thicker, and it turned out kind of lumpy. So, if you’re going to try these out, I recommend finding the thinnest sweaters possible for that part of the project.

Really, they’re quite simple and fun to make. Most of the sewing is hand-stitching, so if you are easily annoyed by your machine, you can still successfully crank these out. And you can make them while sitting in front of the TV, which is definitely a good thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute as can be!!!!