Tuesday, January 02, 2007

From Sea to Shining Sea

I’m glad to be home from Florida. It was a good trip, but exhausting. We did a ton of fun things, but here is my top-ten list (in no particular order):

1. I flew first class for the first time: When we checked in on the way there, they asked if we’d like to upgrade. Since it’s on our list of 100 things to do before we die, we decided to take advantage of the offer. It was totally worth it. We got as nice a dinner as you could possibly get on an airplane, and they were very generous with the wine refills. (The photo below was taken in first class -- Yes, we know we're dorks.)

2. I got to read: Finally!! Some quiet time on the plane. I finished Saffron Skies, which I had been working on forever because it was totally long and boring. I also finished Bed Rest, which was very cute and a fun read.

3. I had Dunkin’ Donuts: And they weren’t all smashed and melted!

4. I had authentic southern food: I had my first taste of red velvet cake, which I really liked. It was the flavor of the groom’s cake at my friend’s wedding. The cake itself was shaped like Darth Vader’s face! I also enjoyed sweet tea, alligator bites, fried pickles, sweet potato fries and crawfish at the Outback Crab Shack. If you’re ever in northern Florida, you HAVE to go there.

5. I played with my little cousins: We spent a day at the Fun Spot (which I don’t recommend) and also had fun playing with all their new Christmas gifts.

6. I went to the Mall at Millennia: It was big and had lots of good shops. I’m told it is THE destination for shopping in Florida.

7. I visited Jacksonville Beach: It has a cute little downtown right on the water. The weather was beautiful, so we had lunch outside and strolled around.

8. I went to a wedding: It was fun to hang out with all of my buddies from college!

9. I celebrated New Year’s Eve at Pleasure Island: They had tons of food and great entertainment. I bought a “bucket” so I could refill it at a discount all night. (The photo below illustrates the bucket's effects.) Steve and I got our groove on at a bunch of the clubs.

10. I got home in one piece: We had our fair share of holiday travel headaches, but none as bad as my friend whose plane had to make an emergency landing because somehow the airplane’s windshield got cracked and the pilot could feel air rushing into the cockpit. Scary, huh?!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're home. You started the New Year off on the right foot. Glad you got off to a good start. Here's hoping for a healthy, happy New Year!