Thursday, November 30, 2006

No-sew Simple


I decided to make a few people on my list no-sew fleece blankets for Christmas. I've heard so much buzz about them, I figured I should try one out. I followed the instructions I found online here.

The one in the picture is for my grandma. I posted hers, because I'm quite sure she is not surfing the Net, trolling blogs. I really like that the two prints for this one coordinated so well.

Overall, I'm really happy with this project. It was very easy and the product is definitely something I can be proud of (which is not the case with most projects I make involving fabric). Plus, the blankets are super-warm and snuggly. I sort of don't want to give them away.

A few hints in case you want to try one out for yourself:

-- You need a lot of room to lay the fabric out. I did most of the work on these in my entryway.
-- I used a very large Fiskars cutting mat and rotary cutter to do all of the trimming and fringe. I absolutely cannot imagine how tedious it would have been to do the whole thing with a tape measure and scissors. My mat has a 1-inch grid on it, so that made it really simple to make the cuts for the fringe even.
-- In the instructions, it recommends tying the fringe in alternating directions. I did one that way and thought it looked a bit messy. I preferred the one I did with all of the fringe tied the same way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool fabric, really coordinates well.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that blanket looks great! I can't wait to get it!

Ashley said...

Hmmm ... Let me guess what brat has stolen my grandma's identity and is posting as her??!!