Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Easy as Pie


I did it! My first-ever pie. Actually, I've made pies before, but they involved a pre-made crust, Jell-O and Cool Whip, so they don't really count.

The crust was tough, but after many tries I got it big enough to cover the whole dish and thick enough to be transfered from the counter to the dish. Those little things on the top are supposed to be flowers made from candied pepitas. What are pepitas you ask? When I came across that word in the recipe I had to look it up. They are the meaty bits inside a pumpkin seed. I found raw ones at Lunardi's and candied them myself.

I'm a little disappointed that I used canned pumpkin instead of my home-grown babies, but I wasn't sure if mine were the proper variety for cooking. There's always next year. Well, maybe we should wait and see how this tastes tomorrow before I go making plans for pie No. 2.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This should be in Martha's magazine. Very impressive....