Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Bottle of Wine on the Wall

I heard about a new craft studio in Willow Glen. I'm not going to name it just yet, as I'm not sure about my feelings toward it. Anyway, I decided to check it out tonight cause they were having a class on stamping on glass. I was intrigued because, as far as I know, that is impossible.

Turns out I was right.

The teacher was a woman who makes these kind of cool glass pieces. The one I chose to work with was a wine bottle that had basically been flattened in a kiln and had a hook at the top for hanging. Oh, I should mention that I was THE ONLY PERSON who had signed up for this class. Anyway, the special inks that I had to use for this task were in very limited and ugly colors. And they did not work correctly with the foamy stamps provided. As I continued to work on it, it just got worse and worse. Two hours later, I brought home this monstrosity:


It's so bad, the picture doesn't do it justice.

The cool thing about the studio is that they have just about every craft supply imaginable that is available for you to use (at no extra cost). I tried to jazz the thing up with some embossing powder, metallic pens, various fibers and some beads. YUCK!

So, when I got home, I popped all the beads off, untied the fibers, and poured some acetone on it. (Yes, I happened to have a bottle of acetone lying around.) All the grossness came off. Yay! So I retied the fibers, and now I kind of like it:


The ladies there were very nice, and I'm willing to give it another chance, cause there's a very cute Christmas craft class coming up that I want to check out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After our discussion regarding this project, I didn't know what to expect... I think with the proper materials this would be a nice hor douerve server... But, would you be able to place food on it with metallic pens, etc...