Sunday, August 27, 2006

Project Menu: Episode 1

Last night's dinner pretty much solidified my standing as a bad cook.

I made pasta margherita from a Cooking Light cookbook. I made the sauce from scratch, and it did seem to be good before I put it on the pasta. But the pasta to sauce ratio was way off, so the pasta was super-bland and boring. I complemented it with salad (good -- but I didn't have much to do with it) and pre-packaged garlic bread from the Safeway bakery (again, good -- but not cause of me). I might try to make this one again, but I'll be sure to double the sauce.

I also attempted to make one of those Jell-O/Cool Whip pies in a pre-bought crust. That was another disaster. By now I should have learned the lesson that the sugar-free Jell-O does not gel correctly in recipes. And I added frozen cherries and chocolate chips in an attempt to be creative. I think those just added to the gelling problem. The pie was a big mess to serve and only OK-tasting.

No comments: