Sunday, August 19, 2007

Saleing

Not sure why, but I was feeling compelled to come back here today. Hi!

It has been a very lazy day because I am completely and utterly exhausted by the yard sale we orchestrated yesterday. We've been homeowners for only three years and married for only two, but in that time we have somehow amassed a frightening load of junk. My parents have been accumulating junk for much longer, so they had plenty to spare, some of which we also sold.

Some points on the yard sale:

-- We made a little over $400, which I guess is a nice little chunk of change for things that would have otherwise ended up at Goodwill.

-- My mom helped us out all day, which I am so grateful for. If you're going to do a yard sale, I recommend having as many helpers as possible in the morning!

-- We advertised in the paper, on craigslist and with signs. All advertisements indicated we were starting at 8. Somehow we had about four customers BEFORE 7! And probably 10 by 8. GEEZ people! They were all clamoring in the garage as we tried to unload the stuff and arrange it on the tables. And some were RUDE, trying to low-ball us before the sale even started.

-- The absolute worst is when people try to bargain for a price that is totally ridiculous, but it is late in the day and you know that if you don't accept their haggling, you're going to have one more thing to haul to Goodwill. Definitely takes some self-restraint to deal with these folks, which I think I did a surprisingly good job of considering I wanted to beat them over the head with the stupid resin bunny they wanted to buy.

Anyway, it feels good to have some empty space in the house now. Can't wait to fill it back up ;)

No comments: