Sunday, April 22, 2007

Baseball, Grilling and Rags!

There’s been a lot going on here lately! Yesterday, we went to the Giant’s game with the tickets I won. GEEZ! – It’s $30 to park there! No wonder so many people take BART. I guess it’s not so bad, Steve told me it’s $80 to park at Fenway.

We’ve been doing the low-carb diet thing for a week now in preparation for our Mexico trip. It was excruciating to see all the delicious food and not be able to have any. We both had a hot dog with no bun. No fun.

The game was good, and we got to see Barry Bonds hit a homerun. Now we can exchange our tickets for special collector’s pins, which is kind of cool. It started raining in the bottom of the seventh inning, so we headed home after that and had some tasty salads at California Pizza Kitchen for dinner.

Last Thursday, Steve and I took a class on grilling at Sur La Table in Los Gatos. The class was excellent – we learned how to grill a lot of tasty things, including tri-tip, salmon kabobs, vegetables and fruit. They even showed us how to bake flatbread on the grill! At the class, we bought a really nice grill pan that can be used on the barbeque or on the stove. It has a side with grill lines and a flat side, which will be nice for pancakes, etc. I decided to try it out this afternoon and grilled up a bunch of zucchini, eggplant and onions. I figured it would be good for us to have some veggies ready to go for during the week because of the low-carb thing. I think they turned out pretty good! I can’t wait to try out the rest of the things we learned (especially the fruit and the flatbread), but those will have to wait till we’re back from the cruise!




Also, in honor of Earth Day today, I thought I would do something environmentally friendly. I decided to start lowering our consumption of paper towels by cutting up a bunch of stained dishtowels and Steve’s old undershirts to use as rags. I cleaned the whole house without using one paper towel! I even recycled this old coffee container to make the rags a little home that will be located under the kitchen sink. I’m thinking about trying to switch us to fabric napkins too. Obviously, there will be situations in which a paper towel or napkin will be necessary, but I think it’s still a good little start!

No comments: